Famous operational issues

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 07:25:08 UTC 2021

Northridge quake.  I was #2 and on call at CRL.  That One Guy on dialup in Atlanta playing MUDs 23x7 pages that things are down.  I wander out to my computer to dial in and see what’s up, turned on TV walking past it, sat down and turned computer on, as it was booting on comes a live helicopter shot over Northridge showing the 1.5 remaining floors of the 3-story Cable and Wireless building our east coast connector went through.

Took a second to listen and make sure I understood what was happening, changed channels to verify it wasn’t a stunt, logged  on and pinged our router there to confirm nothing there, call & wake up Jim: “East coast’s down because earthquake in Northridge and the C&W center fell down.”

“....oh.”

And then there was the Sidekick outage...

-George

Sent from my iPhone