Famous operational issues

Alain Hebert ahebert at pubnix.net
Thu Feb 18 20:31:57 UTC 2021

A few I remember:

     . Some monitoring server SCSI drive failed (we're talking
State/Province level govt)...  Got a return back stating it will take 6
month delay to get a replacement...

         Ended up choosing to use my own drive instead of leaving
something that could be have been deadly, unmonitored.

     . Metro interruption during rush hour (for a pop of 4M) due to
overload power bar in a MMR (Meet Me Room) during a unplanned deployment;

     . Cherry red and very angry looking 520-600V bus bar =D;

     . Fire fighters hitting the building generator emergency STOP
button because some neighbor reported smoke on top of the building
during a black out...
     ( not their fault, local gov failure as usual )

     . Some idiots poured gasoline into a large pipe under a bridge...
ended up demonstrating the lack of diversity to the DCs on that urban
island;

     . Underground transformer blow up downtown Mtl and took out the
entire fiber bundle, demonstrating to those customers that their
diversity was actually real =D.

         (took them a year to get that fixed)

and

     . Obviously: Any rack cabling I do...

-----
Alain Hebert                                ahebert at pubnix.net
PubNIX Inc.
50 boul. St-Charles
P.O. Box 26770     Beaconsfield, Quebec     H9W 6G7
Tel: 514-990-5911  http://www.pubnix.net    Fax: 514-990-9443