Texas internet connectivity declining due to blackouts

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Wed Feb 17 20:32:06 UTC 2021

On 2021-02-17, at 19:36, Sean Donelan <sean at donelan.com> wrote:

> undergrounding HV transmission lines

That’s not how it works.

In Germany, the majority of rural area HV transmission is above ground, for reasons that have been mentioned here.  If we have significant power outages (once-in-a-decade events), they are usually unforeseen damage to those (e.g., extreme icing rain in the 2005 event [1]).

But the distribution network is underground, no poles in residential areas (same for phone/internet).

Yes, our pricing structure is different from the US, but that ist mostly unrelated.  We do like reliable power (and phone systems) over here, by the way.
(As Lenin said, communism is electrification plus soviet rule.
We got rid of soviet rule :-)  Regulation that gets results is good.)

The nominal price of power you can’t get is pretty irrelevant, anyway :-)

Grüße, Carsten

[1]: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCnsterl%C3%A4nder_Schneechaos#Stromausfall