Famous operational issues

John Kristoff jtk at dataplane.org
Wed Feb 17 19:28:08 UTC 2021

On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 14:07:54 -0500
John Curran <jcurrran at istaff.org> wrote:

> I have no idea what outages were most memorable for others, but the
> Stanford transfer switch explosion in October 1996 resulted in a much
> of the Internet in the Bay Area simply not being reachable for
> several days.

Thanks John.

This reminds me of two I've not seen anyone mention yet.  Both
coincidentally in the Chicago area that I learned before my entry
into netops full time.  One was a flood:

  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_flood>

The other, at the dawn of an earlier era:

  <http://telecom-digest.org/telecom-archives/TELECOM_Digest_Online/1309.html>

I wouldn't necessarily put those two in the top 3, but by some standard
for many they were certainly very significant and noteworthy.

John