Famous operational issues

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Wed Feb 17 15:29:57 UTC 2021

John Kristoff wrote:
> Friends,
>
> I'd like to start a thread about the most famous and widespread Internet
> operational issues, outages or implementation incompatibilities you
> have seen.

Well... pre-Internet, but the great Northeast fiber cut comes to mind
(backhoe vs. fiber, backhoe won).

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown