Texas internet connectivity declining due to blackouts

Rafael Possamai rafael at thinkpad.io
Wed Feb 17 13:09:00 UTC 2021

Buried high voltage lines require expensive/complex insulation (oil, etc). It's really expensive to build and to maintain these at enormous scale like the continental USA. Not saying it's not possible, but definitely challenging. Repairing damage to these lines is a lot more complicated than splicing fiber (freeze plugs, huge holes in the ground, etc). Most HV aerial lines can be repaired online with helicopters, whereas the stuff in the ground needs to come offline for any sort of repair involving the conductors.

I think because one USA state is the size of an entire EU country (or larger) then your HV lines would  have to span multiple states (several countries in Europe), it'd be an insane effort to build and maintain these for 50+ years.