Texas internet connectivity declining due to blackouts

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Wed Feb 17 05:27:54 UTC 2021

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021, Rod Beck wrote:

> Are the power lines buried like in Europe where I live?
>
> I really think using poles is crazy and global warming guarantees enough
> atmospheric turbulence to make it untenable. Florida is moving to bury
> power lines.

     Only 41% of European lines are underground [1]. Population density is
     higher in the UK, 280 per sq km, versus the US, 34 per sq km [2].

     Netherlands: 423 per sq km
     Belgium: 376 per sq km
     Germany: 233 per sq km
     Switzerland: 208 per sq km
     Italy: 200 per sq km

     When population density is low, the cost to install buried lines does
     not make financial sense, even considering the outages.

     In major cities, lines are buried in the US.

     Granted, there are several US States that individually are similar to
     Europe:

     New Jersey: 467 per sq km
     Massachussetts: 331 per sq km
     New York: 161 per sq km (despite having NYC, largest city in the US)
     California: 95 per sq km (despite having LA, 2nd largest city in the US)
     Texas: 39 per sq km

     Buried lines makes sense where it makes sense. Comparing Europe to the
     US is way too broad, and I don't know where you live.

[1] https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-05/why-europe-pays-less-than-u-s-to-put-power-lines-underground
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_dependencies_by_population_density