Famous operational issues

scott surfer at mauigateway.com
Tue Feb 16 22:56:02 UTC 2021

On 2/16/2021 9:37 AM, John Kristoff wrote:

> I'd suggest the AS 7007 event is perhaps the most notorious and
> likely to top many lists including mine.

AS7007 is how I found NANOG.  We (Digital Island; first job out
of college) were in 10-20 countries around the planet at the time.
All of them wentdown while we were in cisco training.  I kept
interrupting the class andtelling my manager "everything's down!
We need to stop the training and get on it!"  We didn't because I
was new and no onebelieved that much could go down all at once.
They assumed it was a monitoring glitch.So, the training
continued for a while until very senior engineers got involved.
One of the senior guys said something to the effect of "yeah, it's
all over NANOG."  I said what is NANOG?  I signed upfor the list
and many of you have had to listen to me ever since... ;)

scott