Texas internet connectivity declining due to blackouts

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Tue Feb 16 12:22:01 UTC 2021

On 2/15/21 10:02 PM, Mark Tinka wrote:

> On 2/16/21 07:49, Matthew Petach wrote:
>

>> Isn't that a result of ERCOT stubbornly refusing to interconnect with
>> the rest of the national grid, out of an irrational fear of coming
>> under federal regulation?

Yes. This has been widely documented in numerous articles, both very
recently and previously.

>> I suspect that trying to be self-sufficient works most of the
>> time--but when you get to the edges of the bell curve locally, your
>> ability to be resilient and survive depends heavily upon your ability
>> to be supported by others around you.  This certainly holds true for
>> individual humans; I suspect power grids aren't that different.
>
> If there was a state-wide blackout, they'd need to restart from the
> national grid anyway. Why not have some standing interconnection
> agreement with them anyway, that gets activated in cases such as these?
>
> Sorry, unfamiliar with U.S. politics in this regard, so just doing 1+1.

"Sorry, unfamiliar with U.S. politics in this regard, so just doing 1+1"

You don't understand Texas politics relative to the United States at large.

Which is fine, but this is a state that had deliberately prevented
interconnects (see: ERCOT, above) into any extended national grid,
principally to evade the resulting exposure to Federal regulation.

Texas [politicians] are constantly threatening to secede.

- John