DoD IP Space

Izaac izaac at setec.org
Fri Feb 12 01:41:15 UTC 2021

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 06:29:42AM -0800, Owen DeLong wrote:
> Ridiculous… TCP/IP was designed to be a peer to peer system where each endpoint was uniquely
> addressable whether reachable by policy or not.

I think that is a dramatic over-simplification of the IP design criteria
-- as it was already met by NCP or even a single ethernet segment.  But
that's an aside.  I recommend that you read rfc1918, with a particular
focus on Section 2, because I'm about to employ its language:

When dealing at large scale, an incompetent network engineer sees a
network under their control as a single enterprise.  Whereas a competent
network engineer recognizes that they are actually operating a
federation of enterprises.  They identify the seams, design an
architecture which exploits them, and allocate their scarce resources
appropriately.

> IPv6 restores that ability and RFC-1918 is a bandaid for an obsolete protocol.

So, in your mind, IPv4 was "obsolete" in 1996 -- almost three years
before IPv6 was even specified?  Fascinating.  I could be in no way
mistaken for an IPv4/NAT apologist, but that one's new on me.

> Stop making excuses and let's fix the network

If you want to "fix the network," tolerate neither incompetence or sloth
from its operators.  Educate the former.  Encourage the latter.

--