DoD IP Space

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Feb 11 07:24:06 UTC 2021

> On Feb 10, 2021, at 04:29 , Valdis Klētnieks <valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 04:04:43 -0800, Owen DeLong said:
>> Please explain to me how you uniquely number 40M endpoints with RFC-1918 without running out of
>> addresses and without creating partitioned networks.
>
> OK.. I'll bite.  What network design needs 40M endpoints and can't tolerate
> partitioned networks?  There's eyeball networks out there that have that many
> endpoints, but they end up partitioned behind multiple NAT boxes.

The ability to tolerate pain is not a criteria for competence.

Partitioning (e.g.) the set-top box management network for a major cable provider is, in fact, pain and costly vs.
being able to have a contiguous network with unique addressing. IPv6 is the right answer in this case (and virtually
any other), but the addition of arbitrary pain thresholds doesn’t meet the criteria of whether or not one can run
out of RFC-1918 without incompetence.

Owen