Problems with newish IP block assignment issues from ARIN

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Feb 9 00:07:25 UTC 2021

On Mon, 8 Feb 2021, Justin Wilson (Lists) wrote:

> Folks,

> Have a gremlin we have been chasing around for several months now and
> it’s becoming a major issue as we are getting tighter on IPV4 and
> needing to give some provider assigned space back.
>
> In June we received a /22 from ARIN.  As is my workflow I started
> announcing it but waited a month while I checked out the geolocation
> databases for correct info, did testing ,etc. All this time our test
> accounts could browse web-sites, etc.
>
> We put one of the pools into production and things ran good for awhile.
> Then we started getting the occasional web-site was not working.  After
> several of these we started assigning the customer an IP out of one of
> our other ARIN blocks and the web-site would be fine and reachable. The
> issue seems to reside just on this /22.  We have other blocks from ARIN
> and they are just fine.  We can assign an IP out of this new block and
> can’t reach certain web-sites.  We turn around and assign out of another
> block and web-site works just fine.

Been there, and done that back in 2003.

https://web.archive.org/web/20030722022858/http://69box.atlantic.net/
https://web.archive.org/web/20060214055930/http://not69box.atlantic.net/

Unfortunately, I've moved on from that job and don't have any of the code
that I developed for not69box/69box (and AFAIK, the box itself is long
gone), but you can get an idea from the above page what I did.  i.e. The
two names resolved to an IP in 69.28.64/19 or an IP in 209.208/17.  One of
the cooler (at least at the time) features was a dual-frame traceroute
that visitors could run and watch the box traceroute to a destination from
a each of it's IP's, thus showing where in the path their traceroute
broke, if it did, from the "69 space".