BGP / routing paper recommendations?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Tue Feb 2 19:04:20 UTC 2021

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 10:57 AM Warren Kumari <warren at kumari.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 10:06 AM Casey Callendrello <c1 at caseyc.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm part of a paper reading club, and the group's interest has turned to
> > BGP and Internet routing in general. As the only person in the group who
> > even knows what an AS is, I've been tasked with finding interesting
> > papers on the subject. Any papers or presentations that you found
> > valuable or interesting?
>
> You asked for papers, but I'm going to recommend a book -- "BGP4:
> Inter-Domain Routing in the Internet: Inter-Domain Routing in the
> Internet by John W. Stewart"
> https://www.amazon.com/BGP4-Inter-Domain-John-Stewart-III/dp/0201379511
>
> I used to buy a copy of this for everyone I hired -- it's short, and
> to the point, and covers things (largely) from first principles. It is
> now somewhat old, but mostly still covers things.
> The other "standard" book is the Halabi book - "Internet Routing
> Architectures". This was for many years the canonical BGP book, but it
> is much longer...
>
> Both books can probably be found used in many used book stores.

And someone pointed out (off-list) that I'd forgotten to mention the
NSRC "BGP For All" training - https://learn.nsrc.org/bgp

I reviewed this when it first came out. I figured that, like many
online courses it would be annoying or boring - but I quickly
discovered that (like most NSRC stuff!) it's actually really good.
As an example, you mentioned that you are the only person in the group
who knows what an AS is - obviously people should watch the Intro
videos first, but here's their bit on ASes -
https://learn.nsrc.org/bgp/autonomous_systems

Philip Smith used to do the "Intro to BGP sessions" at NANOG - most of
the audience had already seen it many times, but we'd go rewatch it
because it was always fun/interesting/Philip's a good speaker.
This is very similar, but also has Brian Candler and others
presenting, and it's much more in-depth.