New High Fiber Count Deep Sea Cables

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Mon Feb 1 14:22:36 UTC 2021

On 2/1/21 12:30, Rod Beck wrote:
> Here is the intellectual foundation or underpinnings of the  new deep
> sea design which are enabling fiber pair counts as high as 24.
>
> I think the engineers might enjoy this.
>
> https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8369356
> <https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8369356>

This is from 2018 - the submarine cable industry has come a long way
since then :-).

Channel spacing on marine systems has always been the game. Adding
intelligence into branching units (BU's), as well as improvements in
amplifier design has been a contributory factor as well.

What is interesting, now, is that in lieu of copper, aluminium is being
preferred as a conductor, to lower build costs.

Mark.