Carrier Options in Hong Kong

nanoguser99 nanoguser99 at protonmail.com
Fri Dec 17 18:06:40 UTC 2021

Nanog,

Currently my organization uses PCCW which we pay through the nose for and I'm looking to cut them. This was put in place before me. I was informed that PCCW is "the carrier" in Hong Kong but based on my analysis I'm not sure that's the case. My analysis of carriers such as Lumen and Cogent put them on par with PCCW. Pings to random IPs in HK are reasonable fast on all of them, same with pings to cloud providers. Access to mainland is not a hard requirement but just to check they all had 300+ ms latency to known IPs in Shanghai and Tanjin.

I know some regions such as Korea or Dubai are monopolized where the wrong carrier takes you on a far away path to get a few blocks down the street.

I don't need anything special, just general DIA and good access to eyeballs and internet. I just wanted to see people's opinions here as APAC connectivity can be tricky.

- Nanoguser99

Sent with [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com/) Secure Email.