IP tracking system

Matt Harris matt at netfire.net
Tue Dec 14 17:12:01 UTC 2021

On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 10:12 AM Adam Thompson <athompson at merlin.mb.ca>
wrote:

> > This may have been asked and answered, but I couldn’t find the answer.
>
> The answer changes every year, anyway.
>
> > What are people recommending these days for IP tracking systems? I’m
> > looking for something to track the used/available IP addresses in my new
> > lab.
>
> FWIW, we use TeemIP/iTop, although I can't say I would recommend it, it
> does work.
>
> We've looked at NetBox, which is quite nice, but getting our data *out* of
> TeemIP/iTop proved to be much more difficult than expected, so we haven't
> migrated yet.  CANARIE (Canadian NREN) and all the subsidiary RANs here are
> adopting NetBox, AFAIK.

NetBox is just swell. I've been using it for a handful of years and it has
some great functionality in addition to a very friendly web UI, including
an API you can easily use from tooling to do stuff like auto-generate NAT
configs, DNS zones, DHCP configs, etc.

- mdh

Matt Harris|Infrastructure Lead
816-256-5446|Direct
Looking for help?
Helpdesk|Email Support
We build customized end-to-end technology solutions powered by NetFire Cloud.