questions about ARIN ipv6 allocation

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Dec 7 21:41:17 UTC 2021

On Tue, Dec 7, 2021 at 10:53 AM Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
> > I can't imagine, as a percentage, a significant amount of voting ARIN
> > members give a crap about what happens with legacy resources.
>
> there are more legacy non-members than total members.  wonder why?

The real issue with Mike's statement is that there are more non-legacy
ARIN registrants under contract than there are ARIN members, all of
whom must pay ARIN more for IPv6 and most of whom must deploy IPv6 if
we're ever to be rid of IPv4. ARIN is attempting to partially resolve
that with their upcoming fee schedule (with prior non-members paying
more of course) but it still leaves a lot of folks out in the cold
including some (like Owen and myself) who pay ARIN for services but
can't and won't be able to have IPv6 addresses without paying ARIN
more. I don't precisely view this as unfair but I do think it harms
the community by creating an unnecessary drag on IPv6 deployment.

Is ARIN fee fairness valuable enough to you that you're willing to
extend the time you have to buy IPv4 addresses at market price? It
shouldn't be! And if it isn't, you ought to let ARIN know because they
seem pretty confident fee equity between IPv4 and IPv6 *is* that
important, not in the future but right now.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin