private 5G networks?

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Tue Dec 7 17:16:34 UTC 2021

On 12/7/21 18:57, Jean St-Laurent wrote:

> I thought 5G here meant Fifth Generation of mobile network and not 5
> Ghz wifi. I don’t need a sim card to use wifi on 5 Ghz.
>
> Is the private 5G network advertised by Amazon a kind of?
>
> Put a sim card in that phone and use our 5^th Gen mobile gears. This
> way you can use your private phone numbers in your private system and
> send emoji, texts, pictures and even use your phone as a phone to call
> other people in that private 5G network.
>
> Is this new thing just about having a private 5 Ghz wifi or it’s about
> using phones in 5^th Gen mobile communications through Amazon gears?

5G cellular, not 5GHz wi-fi.

Oddly, they are billing it as an augmentation to wi-fi, even though I
believe in dense cities where fibre is rife, wi-fi will be a more
feasible prospect, especially 802.11ax.

However, given how much cellular can scale, Amazon's "5G Cellular in a
Box" solution may just be the thing the tips the ratios between both
wi-fi and 5G being feasible in concentrated deployments, simultaneously.

Mark.