.bv ccTLD

Hank Nussbacher hank at interall.co.il
Sat Dec 4 16:15:49 UTC 2021

On 04/12/2021 00:45, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> My favorite youtuber has just pointed out that Bougainville will separate
> formally from Papua New Guinea in 2027, which, surprisingly, is only 5 or 6
> years from now.
>
> So I looked up .bv, and of course... it's assigned to Bouvet Island, an
> uninhabited island whose political superior says anything that might go in
> that TLD will go in .no instead. [Wikipedia]
>
> So, what's the actual status of .bv?  Assigned, or reserved?  And if it
> is reserved at the 3166 secretariat level, can they reassign it?
>
> NORID might try to make a case that BV is the common corporate abbreviation
> in their political subdivision... but they're not selling those domains now,
> so that doesn't seem compelling.
>
> Anyone here got a buddy on the secretariat?  :-)
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra

All handling of ccTLDs are handled via the ccNSO of ICANN:
https://ccnso.icann.org/en

For example ccTLD retirement is a multi-year and perhaps multi-decade
process:
https://ccnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/field-attached/ccpdp3-retirement-vote-report-05aug21-en.pdf
https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=64081623&preview=/64081623/166266006/Final%20Report%20ccPDP3%20Retirement%20-%20June%202021.pdf

Regards,