.bv ccTLD

Cynthia Revström me at cynthia.re
Sat Dec 4 15:18:26 UTC 2021

Hi,

Not only is the ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 code assigned but the ccTLD is
delegated to NORID's nameservers.
NORID also makes it pretty clear that they are not interested in
selling the TLD, and I suspect that might very well mirror the
position of the Norwegian government.
While something like another country is a different thing to just a
company wanting to profit from a TLD, it still seems unlikely to me.

Another example: back in 2011 when South Sudan gained independence,
they got an ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 code which was "SS" which could
understandably have some problems given historical context for that
letter combination.[1]

So not getting "BV" is a pretty minor thing in comparison to that, IMHO.
There are many countries/geographical entities that have far from
perfect ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 codes.
I think pretty much all codes ending in an X is because there were no
better ones available. (I am not certain on this part though)

[1]: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sudan-independence-idUSTRE75S4A520110629

-Cynthia