.bv ccTLD

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Dec 3 22:45:55 UTC 2021

My favorite youtuber has just pointed out that Bougainville will separate
formally from Papua New Guinea in 2027, which, surprisingly, is only 5 or 6
years from now.

So I looked up .bv, and of course... it's assigned to Bouvet Island, an
uninhabited island whose political superior says anything that might go in
that TLD will go in .no instead. [Wikipedia]

So, what's the actual status of .bv?  Assigned, or reserved?  And if it
is reserved at the 3166 secretariat level, can they reassign it?

NORID might try to make a case that BV is the common corporate abbreviation
in their political subdivision... but they're not selling those domains now,
so that doesn't seem compelling.

Anyone here got a buddy on the secretariat?  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra