An update on the AfriNIC situation

Rubens Kuhl rubensk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 20:37:23 UTC 2021

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 5:28 PM Sabri Berisha <sabri at cluecentral.net> wrote:

> ----- On Aug 31, 2021, at 8:40 AM, Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> [ I'm not affiliated with CI in any way, just playing the Devil's Advocate ]
>
> > "5.4.6.2 AFRINIC resources are for AFRINIC service region and any use
> > outside the region should be solely in support of connectivity back to the
> > AFRINIC region."
>
> > AfriNIC's policy is not at all vague on the matter that their resources
> > are to be used in or to support connectivity in the AFRINIC region.
>
> In all fairness, that is as ambiguous as it can be. What constitutes "support
> of connectivity back to the AfriNIC region"?

I can try helping with that: in underserved regions it's not unusual
for network services for that population to be physically hosted out
of the region. For instance, if you have a hosting service that only
accepts South African rands and your language options are Afrikaans
and Zulu, you can credibly argue to AfriNIC that you are targeting its
service region and are eligible for AfriNIC number resources.

But you would need to be upfront with that, including mentioning that
your upstreams are not from Africa and your installations won't be in
Africa.
Otherwise you applied for number resources under false pretenses, and
will bear the risk of such.

Rubens