Reminder: Never connect a generator to home wiring without transfer switch

Sabri Berisha sabri at cluecentral.net
Tue Aug 31 16:23:51 UTC 2021

----- On Aug 31, 2021, at 2:11 AM, Forrest Christian (List Account) lists at packetflux.com wrote:

Hi,

> I just wish the electrical code would permit or require certain low cost things
> which make temporary generator connections more likely to be safe.

> For example, code requires most furnaces to be hardwired. But a furnace is one
> of the first things you want on a generator in an extended winter power outage.
> If instead of hardwired, the code required plug and socket connections at each
> 120v furnace then Joe homeowner would be more likely to run an extension cord
> from his generator to his furnace instead of trying to rig up his generator
> with a suicide cord.

Now I'm wondering which jurisdiction you're talking about. I live in California
in a home which was finalized in 2019. As I'm the first owner, I was there when
the inspector went up into the attic and checked my HVAC. My HVAC has a plug in
power cord running into a regular household socket (all in the attic). The
inspector didn't say a word about it and issued the occupancy permit.

My electrically powered oven is hardwired, but I guess that's because it requires
two 50amp breakers?

Thanks,

Sabri