Reminder: Never connect a generator to home wiring without transfer switch

Forrest Christian (List Account) lists at packetflux.com
Tue Aug 31 09:11:03 UTC 2021

I just wish the electrical code would permit or require certain low cost
things which make temporary generator connections more likely to be safe.

For example, code requires most furnaces to be hardwired.  But a furnace is
one of the first things you want on a generator in an extended winter power
outage.   If instead of hardwired, the code required plug and socket
connections at each 120v furnace  then Joe homeowner would be more likely
to run an extension cord from his generator to his furnace instead of
trying to rig up his generator with a suicide cord.