Main electric transmission towers collapsed--New Orleans at 11% Internet connectivity

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Mon Aug 30 19:32:27 UTC 2021

Major wireless carriers have activated their open roaming agreements,
allowing customers of competitors to connect to any working cell tower.
As usual in disasters, text messaging may work even when voice and
data connections don't.

AT&T released the following statement:

"Hurricane Ida has caused significant impacts to our network in Louisiana
from the massive power outages and storm damage. Our Louisiana wireless
network is operating at 60% of normal and we have significant outages in
New Orleans and Baton Rouge due to power outages, flooding and storm
damage. We had key network facilities go offline overnight, and while some
have already been restored, some facilities remain down and are
inaccessible due to flooding and storm damage."
[...]

https://about.att.com/pages/disaster_relief/storm_ida.html

Still looking for statements from Verizon, T-Mobile, Cox (I think, I
loose track of which merger covered which metro area).

I expect, if they haven't already, WiFi providers and cable systems will
also be announcing open service for users in affected areas where their
networks are still operating.