Reminder: Never connect a generator to home wiring without transfer switch

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Mon Aug 30 17:58:49 UTC 2021

Aaron,

Your incorrect assumption is that lineman are tying phases to earth ground, a discontinued practice that killed many lineman up through 1980, despite its seeming faultless logic.

The current safety practice is called “equipotential grounding”, which doesn’t go to earth. Thus an backed can change the balance of potentials, resulting in lethal currents. As other have pointed out with real-word examples, this is a major safety issue, cause by the many “dumb enough” DIYers out there.

All explained elsewhere in the thread. I recommend you review the previous discussion, to avoid creating a NANOG bridge loop :)

 -mel