An update on the AfriNIC situation

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Sun Aug 29 12:06:55 UTC 2021

On Sat, 28 Aug 2021, 21:25 Mehmet Akcin, <mehmet at akcin.net> wrote:

> I am kind of curious of the ICANN/IANA position on this?

*4) Neutrality and impartiality in relation to all interested parties, and
particularly the LIRs*

All organisations that receive service from the new RIR must be treated
equally. The policies and guidelines proposed and implemented by the RIR need
to ensure fair distribution of resources, and impartial treatment of the
members/requestors.

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/new-rirs-criteria-2012-02-25-en

Principle #4 of ICP-2 goes to emphasise a very important aspect of Internet
Number Management which is "fair distribution of resources".

>From the context of a party without reasonable Internet Infrastructure,
lacks an ASN, has no IPv6 allocation. Would you call the over 6 million
IPv4 allocations to an entity that does not participate in the Internet
ecosystem itself, fair distribution?

Noah