An update on the AfriNIC situation

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Fri Aug 27 23:07:23 UTC 2021

> On Aug 28, 2021, at 12:48 AM, Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl at gmail.com> wrote:
> just to point out it is not just one guy but a whole region doing business like that.

You’re saying a whole region consists of parties who don’t route IP traffic?

If not, you’re making a false equivalency.

> In the RIPE region we had a run with many parties that created fake LIRs to get an extra /22 assignment.

That’s unfortunate, and I hope RIPE revokes any allocations which were made under false pretenses and are being currently used in ways that violate RIPE’s current policies.  As AfriNIC does.

> Did they steal that any less than this guy?

I believe the blocks in question are:

154.80.0.0/12
45.192.0.0/12
156.224.0.0/11
154.192.0.0/11

So, yes, 6,144 times less.

> This guy is a small fish compared to the robbery done by so many others.

If you know of someone who’s fraudulently acquired _more_ than 6.3M IPv4 addresses, and is profiting from their being used in contravention of RIR policy, I very much encourage you to request that your RIR perform a compliance audit.

Since, after all, that’s what the RIR’s job is.

                                -Bill