An update on the AfriNIC situation

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Aug 27 20:30:57 UTC 2021

On 27 Aug 2021, at 4:07 PM, Bryan Fields <Bryan at bryanfields.net> wrote:
> I wish ARIN would stay out of this, it's not something that affects the ARIN
> region,

Bryan -

I agree in general, but note the characterization of “not affecting ARIN” community isn’t the case when the dispute in question can operationally take out an RIR.    As I said in the article -

Disputes between RIRs and their customers do occur from time to time, and it is best that such disputes are resolved within that RIR, its community, and/or the applicable legal and courts system if necessary.

ARIN does not normally comment on disputes or related litigation occurring at another RIR, but this matter has become quite different, as it is both highly public and has potential for significant impact to the overall stability of the Internet number registry system and thus to ARIN and its community.

> I’d expect that for a court to freeze assets of AFRINIC there must be a very strong argument.

Indeterminate at this time, since a “Freezing Order" issued via ex party hearing doesn’t actually test the strength of the arguments, as the affected party is not present to respond.  It is only when the case for the validation of the order is heard that the strength of the arguments could possibly be assessed.  Note - the full list of cases filed are here <https://afrinic.net/court-cases <https://afrinic.net/court-cases>> for reference.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO