Reminder: Never connect a generator to home wiring without transfer switch

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Thu Aug 26 02:02:38 UTC 2021

Matt,

The practice you describe, called “parallel grounding”, was flawed and discontinued in the 1970s. It was replaced by equipotential grounding, which protects against accidental grid-delivered voltages, but still can’t protect against customer-delivered voltages.

https://www.leafelectricalsafety.com/blog/electrical-safety/equipotential-grounding-versus-parallel-grounding

 -mel beckman