Reminder: Never connect a generator to home wiring without transfer switch

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Wed Aug 25 18:54:46 UTC 2021

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 11:06 AM Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> wrote:

> > On Aug 25, 2021, at 10:04 AM, Mark Tinka <mark at tinka.africa> wrote:
> >
> > You need to make these things fool-proof. We haven't traveled in over a
> year but the day we do, it's a recipe for disaster if the person that deals
> with this stuff is on the road when the power goes out back at home.
>
> This is why I personally spent the $$ on a proper standby generator with
> multiple ATS for the multiple panels.

Yah. I suspect that a fair bit of this depends on where you live. I have a
fairly rural house, and the power comes across the (Shenandoah) river, and
then down an overhead feed which branches off to 6 or 8 neighbors, before
running up the hill to a transformer on a pole near my house. We would lose
power around once every 2 or 3 months (trees, wind, snow, etc). We
installed a whole house generator (with transfer switch), and ... well,
actually, just after we did this the local power company did a bunch of
maintenance and now the supply is more stable, but still....

This all reminds me that I need to go and do an oil change/maintenance on
the generator -- it sent me an alert the week before last that it has
reached its maintenance interval, but it's been a bit too hot to do this
yet...

- Jared

--
The computing scientist’s main challenge is not to get confused by the
complexities of his own making.