Re: Newbie Questions: How-to monitor/control unauthorized uses of our IPs and DNS zones?

tim at pelican.org tim at pelican.org
Mon Aug 23 08:32:26 UTC 2021

On Friday, 20 August, 2021 21:48, "Valdis Klētnieks" <valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu> said:

>> 2. How-to monitor whether some outside websites are just shells, with
>> contents actually being hosted by our servers without me knowing about it?
>
> Again - what actual problem are you trying to solve here?  If you're being used
> as a cache or backend site and don't know it, you have *bigger* problems.

That's my reading of it - the web admin team are not trusted, and Pirawat / the network team are being asked to police them and make sure they're not running some kind of side business off the company equipment.

Which is going to need some kind of WAF, reverse proxy, load-balancer, or similar in front of the web stuff, operated by the network team.  Tech fix for an org problem.

Regards,
Tim.