Outbound Route Filtering (ORF) vendor support

Robert Raszuk robert at raszuk.net
Fri Aug 20 20:37:41 UTC 2021

> This means you'd need to tag EVERYTHING - and that may be operationally
> problematic for Internet routes.

When I wrote my note I envisioned that RS on inbound may tag routes with
RTs (based on the very same communities you would filter without RTs)

Then enabling RTC SAFI would be pretty easy. I think with IOS-XE RS and
IOS-XE client this could even work today without much effort - but I will
say honestly that I have not tried it.

Of course native filtering based on communities itself may also be cool.

Last drops of updated based on community policy is cheap so perhaps client
can just  filter between ajd-rib to bgp-rib interesting routes locally
without signalling. After all the only bigger churn is at original session
up. Then subsequent BGP updates usually would be pretty painless.

Best,
R.