Newbie Questions: How-to monitor/control unauthorized uses of our IPs and DNS zones?

Adam Thompson athompson at merlin.mb.ca
Thu Aug 19 19:34:52 UTC 2021

I just had a conversation with John Curran (of ARIN) about this, in fact...

You don't own IP addresses.  But you also don't rent IP addresses, either.

IP addresses are not a thing, good, or object, not even an intangible good.  They are an address, or an index, if you will.  (You might think of an IP address as the index on a giant, internet-wide, shared array... that we call "the routing table".)
Your annual fee purchases registration services, specifically, the service of ARIN entering your IP addresses into their master copy of a database that other people use.  (And some ancillary services that ARIN provides to you.)  That's it.

The closest analogy I have are either phone numbers or street addresses.  You don't own either of those things, nor do you rent them.  In the case of phone numbers, the phone company isn't renting you the phone#, they're renting you the POTS service that gives you the ability to make outgoing, and answer incoming, calls.  Your ILEC also typically adds your name and # into a phone book, as part of the service.  (Yeah, VoIP providers have mangled this analogy beyond recognition.)  They can (and have) changed your phone number at will.  At least ARIN doesn't do that.

In the case of a street address, you own the property.  The address is just an index to a giant, irregular 2D array called "the streets in your city".  Again, when you buy or rent the property, you aren't buying or renting the address itself from anyone, much less the city.  But there are all sorts of directories ("databases") you can register your business in so that people know who occupies such-and-such a property, and marketing folks do this all the time (even in 2021).  When you pay those companies money, you aren't renting the property from them, you're registering​ your property with them.

Here's the problematic part: there's absolutely nothing saying you have to register your addreses with an RIR to get them into the global routing table.  You could probably find an ISP somewhere willing to overlook all the rules and conventions and advertise new address space that just happens to overlap with someone else's registered addresses, or maybe you found some that aren't currently advertised.  In fact, I'd say it's 100% possible to do so.

However, nearly everyone agrees to play by a common set of rules, in order that the Internet, well... works.  As expected.  Almost 100% of the time, taken as a whole.  Those rules include requiring you to register with an RIR, to ensure there are no overlaps, and law enforcement can find you if necessary.

Again, you aren't buying or renting IP addresses - you're paying an admission fee of sorts, in order to play in the global routing table.  The fact your RIR assigned you a block of addresses is part of good internet governance, and is not actually the commercial aspect of the transaction (even though we all think of it that way anyway, including me).

Ultimately, almost everyone thinks of it the way you do, but it's technically quite wrong.  (My statements may not be correct in jurisdictions deriving from systems other than English common law.)

Beyond this, this is a discussion for ARIN-DISCUSS not NANOG-L.  Or perhaps in your case, whatever discussion list APNIC runs, since ARIN rules don't apply in Thailand.  But I expect APNIC will tell you almost the same thing as I just did.

-Adam

P.S. If you feel this is B.S. and it shouldn't work this way, most of the RIRs are always looking for participants in their policy process - I know ARIN is.  Well, I don't know what's up with AfriNIC, that unfortunately seems to be a rolling dumpster fire, but I suppose they'll need new people to put the pieces all back together, too.

Adam Thompson
Consultant, Infrastructure Services
[1593169877849]
100 - 135 Innovation Drive
Winnipeg, MB, R3T 6A8
(204) 977-6824 or 1-800-430-6404 (MB only)
athompson at merlin.mb.ca<mailto:athompson at merlin.mb.ca>
www.merlin.mb.ca<http://www.merlin.mb.ca/>