PeerinDB refuses to register certain networks [was: Setting sensible max-prefix limits]

Matthew Walster matthew at walster.org
Thu Aug 19 02:26:56 UTC 2021

On Thu, 19 Aug 2021 at 02:03, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:

> > The difference is, if you are able to use PeeringDB as a single
> > source of truth, it is a lot easier to grab the data you need.
>
> < pushing the analogy to the absurd >
>
> great idea!  please tell me when i can use peeringdb as the single
> source of truth for my bank balance?  how about i can learn your bank
> balance?
>
> < / >
>
> peeringdb has a mission, public exchange point documentation.  please
> don't get creepy.

Randy, your hyperbole helps no-one. Having been on Sabri's side of your
targeting before, I can attest it does little else than create veiled
anger. We are all friends here.

PeeringDB's mission, as stated on the front page, is:

PeeringDB is a freely available, user-maintained, database of networks, and
> the go-to location for interconnection data. The database facilitates the
> global interconnection of networks at Internet Exchange Points (IXPs), data
> centers, and other interconnection facilities, and is the first stop in
> making interconnection decisions.

The barrier to entry ought to be as low as possible, PeeringDB should
facilitate peering, not hinder it. Right now, I believe it is a force for
good. Where Sabri believes (based on a 6 year old email) a denial of
presence on the platform, it has degraded the utility of PeeringDB by not
allowing a network to advertise where it can be peered with -- something
that extensively happens between networks in LATAM outside of public IXPs
for example, which is why that statement above indicates it also
facilitates the interconnection of networks outside of IXPs. Whether that
is desirable or not is a topic for another day.

Matthew Walster