PeerinDB refuses to register certain networks [was: Setting sensible max-prefix limits]

Sabri Berisha sabri at cluecentral.net
Wed Aug 18 22:53:22 UTC 2021

----- On Aug 18, 2021, at 3:02 PM, Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net wrote:

Hi,

> Those networks would be ones that do not peer. Which seems pretty obvious to me
> - it is literally in the name.

I have an AS, I advertise IP space to the world. I want to be a Good Netizen and
register my BGP peers. Your definition of BGP peering is different from mine, at
least in this context.

> I guess you are right, the _Peering_DB does not register “certain” networks.

Which was my point. I'm glad you agree. My little AS is not allowed to play with
the big kids.

If you only want to register settlement-free peering, that's totally fine with me.
Your database, your rules.

But, the fact stays that you can have an AS, advertise your prefixes to the world,
and not be permitted to register with peeringdb. Which means it can't be used as
a single source of truth. Which would have been a shame because with a little bit
of automation it would be feasible to "score" advertisements. That would help
determine the likelihood of an advertisement to be erroneous (whether by accident
or malice).

For example, if I were to register my peers (53356 and 136620) and AS5524 would
all of a sudden start to advertise my AS as behind it, you'd be able to flag that.

But again, your database, your rules.

Thanks,

Sabri