PeerinDB refuses to register certain networks [was: Setting sensible max-prefix limits]

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Wed Aug 18 22:02:14 UTC 2021

> Of course! Including headers to show authenticity. I was very amused by the
> explanation of the "chicken and egg" problem. Who's creating that? The networks
> who refuse to peer with non-peeringdb registered ASNs, or peeringdb who won't
> recognize ASNs that are not peering with anyone because nobody wants to peer
> with them because they are not registered in peeringdb because nobody wants to
> peer with them? You get the idea.

First, most networks do not require a PDB record to peer. (Silly of them, I know, but still true.)

Second, you do not need to have a PDB record to get a link to an IXP. Even membership in a free IXP is sufficient for an account in PDB, as Grizz points out below.

Third, if you have an agreement, even just an email, saying a network will peer with you once you have a record, that may well suffice. Have you asked any network to peer? Private peering (because you are not on an IXP) is usually reserved for networks with more than a modicum of traffic. If your network is large enough to qualify for private peering, I have trouble believing you cannot get another network to agree to peer so you can get a record.

I guess you are right, the _Peering_DB does not register “certain” networks. Those networks would be ones that do not peer. Which seems pretty obvious to me - it is literally in the name.

--
TTFN,
patrick