Setting sensible max-prefix limits

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Wed Aug 18 13:21:41 UTC 2021

While there are good solutions in this thread, some of them have scaling
issues with operator overhead.

We recently implemented a strategy that I proposed a couple years ago that
uses a bucket system.

We created 5 or 6 different buckets of limit values (for v4 and v6 of
course.) Depending on what you have published in PeeringDB (or told us
directly what to expect), you're placed in a bucket that gives you a decent
amount of headroom to that bucket's max. If your ASN reaches 90% of your
limit, our ops folks just move you up to the next bucket. If you start to
get up there in the last bucket, then we'll take a manual look and decide
what is appropriate. This covers well over 95% of our non-transit sessions,
and has dramatically reduced the volume of tickets and changes our ops team
has had to sort through.

Of course, we can also afford to be a little looser in limits based on the
capability of the equipment that these sessions land on, other environments
may require tighter restrictions.