Setting sensible max-prefix limits

Lars Prehn lprehn at mpi-inf.mpg.de
Wed Aug 18 09:33:09 UTC 2021

As I understand by now, it is highly recommended to set a max-prefix
limit for peering sessions. Yet, I can hardly find any recommendations
on how to arrive at a sensible limit.

I guess for long standing peers one could just eyeball it, e.g., current
prefix count + some safety margin. How does that work for new peers? Do
you negotiate/exchange sensible values whenever you establish a new
session? Do you rely on PeeringDB (if available)? Do you apply default
values to everyone except the big fishes?

Apart from your peers, do you also apply a limit to your transit sessions?

Best regards,

Lars