"Tactical" /24 announcements

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Sat Aug 14 06:01:35 UTC 2021

On 8/12/21 19:57, Jon Lewis wrote:

> Yeah...changes to the network could suddenly run such a box out of FIB
> resources, and you could easily be wrong when predicting how much
> longer a box has for it's "full routes" days...but the alternatives
> are "don't do full routes" or replace the box much sooner.
> In that respect, it's somewhat remarkable that Arista even developed
> the feature.  "We can sell them newer hardware with larger FIB
> capabilities, or offer a software update that extends the life of the
> gear they've already bought."  What company chooses the latter? :)

There was a time when vendors were actually ran by engineers :-).

I recall asking for the feature from Cisco around 2011/2012, for the
ME3600X/3800X, and that's how it arrived. The team developing that breed
of box were excited about the prospect of its success, since I began
working with them to develop it in 2009. So they rolled out as many
features as I could help them make sense of, and BGP-SD was one of them.

The good news is it made it into IOS XE, and became available for a ton
of other platforms, the ASR920 included.

Nowadays, one wonders who's actually running the show at vendor-land...

Mark.