"Tactical" /24 announcements

Amir Herzberg amir.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 17:17:11 UTC 2021

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 12:43 PM Hank Nussbacher <hank at interall.co.il>
wrote:

> On 12/08/2021 17:59, William Herrin wrote:
>
> > If you prune the routes from the Routing Information Base instead, for
> > any widely accepted size (i.e. /24 or shorter netmask) you break the
> > Internet.
>
> How does this break the Internet?  I would think it would just result in
> sub-optimal routing (provided there is a covering larger prefix) but
> everything should continue to work.  Clue me in, please.

Hi Hank, I think you're right, it could result in sub-optimal routing and
in particular, in your AS not being used for these subprefixes (the traffic
will go instead to a competing provider who sent the subprefix), hence, as
you said, sub-optimal routing.

I think some people (maybe Bill included) may consider the resulting harm
to routing to be sufficiently severe to consider this `breaking'. It
becomes a judgement call, I guess.

Cheers, Amir