"Tactical" /24 announcements

Tom Hill tom at ninjabadger.net
Wed Aug 11 10:24:06 UTC 2021

On 10/08/2021 07:15, Lukas Tribus wrote:
>> Are there any big networks that drop or penalize announcements like this?
> It's possible you could get your peering request denied for this. I
> have put *reasonable* prefix aggregation into peering requirements for
> some years now. If you are a small eyeball network with 8192 IP
> addresses and originate 32 /24's, that is *not* reasonable.

It is quite an issue when a network tries to programmatically filter-out
the /24 more-specifics advertisements made from an allocated, .e.g, /20.

Such anti-disaggregation/save-my-TCAM efforts really do not work, and
will spawn all manner of support tickets. I'm saying this in the hope
that it may prevent someone from reading this thread and concluding that
it may be a good idea to try. It is not.

Speaking to your peers is good, as I think you're encouraging there. I
would of course default to asking them if they've read from the Good
Book of RPKI. :)

I also often find that very outdated "Good Security Practice" is as much
to blame for this as anything else, and so when we do talk to our peers
and/or customers, we should always be asking the question: "who told you
this was a good idea?"

--
Tom