"Tactical" /24 announcements

Amir Herzberg amir.lists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 19:55:08 UTC 2021

Bill said,

> > Is this seen as route table pollution, or a necessary evil in today's
> world?
>
> Pollution. And it won't save you from a hijack either, since your
> adversary's /24 routes will compete and win for at least part of the
> Internet.

I agree, of course, that moving to announce every /24 would pollute the
net. Note that if you use ROAs, you'll also have to make corresponding /24
ROAs, and I don't know if this won't have problematic impact also on the
RPKI infrastructure. Not good.

But:
- assuming the /24 will have proper ROA, and ROV is reasonably deployed,
this _would_ protect most of the traffic sent to the /24 from a hijacker
announcing /24 (and even more if hijack is of shorter prefix, of course).
- As long as ROV isn't _very_ widely deployed, it would often fail to
protect against the hijack without such measure (competing /24), so this
will remain necessary (if you wish to prevent hijack).

We've done some relevant simulations, as well as proposed a simple
extension to ROV, called ROV++, which protects against such sub-prefix
hijacks without requiring competing /24 announcement, and effective already
with modest adoption (of ROV++) by BGP routers. (Should also be assisted by
mixed ROV / ROV++ adoption but we didn't do these simulations yet.)

See at:
https://www.ndss-symposium.org/ndss-paper/rov-improved-deployable-defense-against-bgp-hijacking/

tl; dr : ROV++ routers would blackhole subprefix traffic rather than send
it on a route which would be hijacked (i.e., if the route is to a neighbor
AS that announced legit prefix _and_ hijacked subprefix). Simple.

[and no, I'm not happy with the resulting disconnections. but it's better
than hijack imho]

best, Amir
--
Amir Herzberg

Comcast professor of Security Innovations, Computer Science and
Engineering, University of Connecticut
Homepage: https://sites.google.com/site/amirherzberg/home
`Applied Introduction to Cryptography' textbook and lectures:
 https://sites.google.com/site/amirherzberg/applied-crypto-textbook