"Tactical" /24 announcements

Billy Croan BCroan at unrealservers.net
Mon Aug 9 15:47:22 UTC 2021

How does the community feel about using /24 originations in BGP as a
tactical advantage against potential bgp hijackers?

All of our allocations are larger and those prefixes we announce for
clients as well usually are.  But we had a request recently to
originate everything as distinct /24 prefixes, to reduce the effect of
a potential bgp hijack.  It seemed a little bit like a tragedy of the
commons situation.

Is this seen as route table pollution, or a necessary evil in today's world?
How many routers out there today would be affected if everyone did this?
Are there any big networks that drop or penalize announcements like this?