Cogent x RPKI

Job Snijders job at fastly.com
Mon Aug 9 12:10:39 UTC 2021

Dear Rubens,

On Mon, Aug 09, 2021 at 08:41:48AM -0300, Rubens Kuhl wrote:
> From a Cogent support ticket:
>> Please see the attached LOA.
>>
>> Regarding the RPKI ROA, for now, we don't create ROA for our prefixes
>> nor for prefixes that we assign to our customers and we don't plan to
>> do it. Unfortunately, this is not an option."
>>
>> Someone that poses as a Tier-1 and doesn't even plan to sign their
>> announcements ? How much more depeering will make them reconsider ?

Please keep in mind that sound technical, administrative, or financial
reasons can exist that hamper one's ability to create RPKI ROAs.

For example, if the IP space is LEGACY, and not covered by a 'LRSA'
(ARIN) or 'Legacy Agreement' (RIPE), then RPKI certificate issuance
services simply are not available for that IP space. Without an
agreement with a RIR to arrange RPKI services, logically, one cannot
create ROAs.

Perhaps in your case, if RPKI is a requirement, you are better off
bringing your own (RPKI capable) IP space?

Kind regards,

Job