Myanmar internet - something to think about if you're having a bad day

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 18:32:44 UTC 2021

None of them are a good option. In the specific case of Pakistan, the
periodic shutdowns and blockages have been 'moderate' enough, if that's an
appropriate word to use, that *most* of the time, Telenor's customers have
ordinary Internet service. Over the long run it is probably a benefit that
its customers have their LTE data services.

Within that specific example I should also note that there has been very
little effort put on a nation-wide scale to implement technology which can
do DPI and drop/blackholing of VPN traffic. Even though the Internet
traffic for the country runs through a few choke points, there does not
appear to be government-operated technical capability or the budget to
implement something on the scale of the great firewall.

There's plenty of non technical teenagers in Pakistan with VPN clients on
their phone or laptop who seem perfectly capable of using a VPN to watch
Youtube or access Twitter and other social media, during the periods of
time that the government orders things to be blocked.

Along with all feasible attempts at lobbying, I would propose a 4th
alternate to the scenarios outlined, which is to provide funding and
financial support (from a telecom's headquarters in Europe or the USA) for
civil society institutions and non-profits related to bypassing Internet
censorship, and lobbying against it. Such as the EFF, funding for the tor
project, supporting the work of various GPL/BSD licensed VPN technologies
(openvpn, wireguard, etc) and their continuing development, etc.