Myanmar internet - something to think about if you're having a bad day

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 18:03:26 UTC 2021

(I'm sure i'll regret this, but...)

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 1:48 PM Eric Kuhnke <eric.kuhnke at gmail.com> wrote:

> It should be noted that Telenor has been one of the nationwide license
> holders for 3GPP cellular bands in Pakistan for a long time, and has
> encountered the same issues with regional network shutdowns, and government
> orders to block certain netblocks or services.
>
> Not to the same extent as what's going on right now in Myanmar, but
> absolutely it meets the definition of what a (western European, North
> American) person would consider to be unconscionable and unwarranted
> government Internet censorship and interference with telecoms.

So, what would be the correct set of actions here (for a company)?

it sounds like some version of the proposal is:
  "Pull up stakes, stop offering services in places that may/do impose
'draconian' methods of 'censorship'"
     (note intentionally quoted draconian/censorship - I don't mean/want to
put a value on those words)

or perhaps:
  "Lobby the gov't(s) in these situations to NOT do the things they keep
doing"

or finally:
  "refuse to comply with requests/orders from govt(s) to do these things"

I think the last is 'impractical', I expect the 1st is also a tough pill to
swallow for a large multinational telcom... the middle may already be being
done, but is unlikely to help.

So, aside from: <waggy finger>you ought not do that!</waggy finger> from
the sidelines... what should a responsible Corpo do?