DoD IP Space

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Apr 25 13:03:03 UTC 2021

On 24 Apr 2021, at 6:45 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us<mailto:bill at herrin.us>> wrote:

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 8:26 AM Mel Beckman <mel at beckman.org<mailto:mel at beckman.org>> wrote:
This doesn’t sound good, no matter how you slice it. The lack of
transparency with a civilian resource is troubling at a minimum.

You do understand that the addresses in question are not and have
never been "civilian." They came into DoD's possession when this was
all still a military project funded by what's now DARPA.

Personally, I think we may have an all time record for the largest
honeypot ever constructed. I'd love to be a fly on that wall.

Bill -

That’s actually a possibility - just join DDS…  https://apnews.com/article/technology-business-government-and-politics-b26ab809d1e9fdb53314f56299399949

‘ "The big Pentagon internet mystery now partially solved”
….
After weeks of wonder by the networking community, the Pentagon has now provided a very terse explanation for what it’s doing. But it has not answered many basic questions, beginning with why it chose to entrust management of the address space to a company that seems not to have existed until September.

The military hopes to “assess, evaluate and prevent unauthorized use of DoD IP address space,” said a statement issued Friday by Brett Goldstein, chief of the Pentagon’s Defense Digital Service<https://www.defense.gov/Explore/News/Article/Article/1858615/defense-digital-service-delivers-mission-aligned-tech-for-dod/>, which is running the project. It also hopes to “identify potential vulnerabilities” as part of efforts to defend against cyber-intrusions by global adversaries, who are consistently infiltrating U.S. networks, sometimes operating from unused internet address blocks. '

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO