Submitting Fake Geolocation for blocks to Data Brokers and RIRs

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Apr 23 20:15:02 UTC 2021

> > * Do I run the risk of being blacklisted for this practice?
>
> Risk? Blacklisted where?
>
> The risk of another ISP filtering your traffic for this is very low, almost certainly to the right of the decimal, but not mathematically zero to infinite decimal places. As I mentioned before, the risk of geo-loc providers ignoring any of your manual updates in the future is higher, but still low. Most of those things are automated.

I doubt the geo-loc provider will blacklist you unless you give them
detail locations (e.g. an exact building) which have no relationship
to you or the users at all. They get embarrassed when police rely on
them and then knock on the wrong door.

There is some risk of content owners blacklisting your entire address
space on the grounds that you have been caught circumventing their
restrictions. I have no idea how significant or insignificant this
risk is. If it happens, good luck getting it undone.

There is some risk of legal action should a government entity rely on
your information to mean that data in its unencrypted form has stayed
within a particular locality when it has not. For example, China
expects that its citizens browse the web from behind the great
firewall where they can control and interdict information they don't
like. I have no idea how significant or insignificant this risk is.

Understand that while you may not actually be in the other country,
many countries have treaties which allow cases to be brought in the
resident's country when the behavior is unlawful in both countries and
at least part of the actual activity happened in the other country.
Fraud abetting some other unlawful behavior is broadly unlawful
itself.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--