Malicious SS7 activity and why SMS should never by used for 2FA

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Tue Apr 20 16:15:17 UTC 2021

Shop with your feet if security is weak. I changed banks because of SMS 2FA.

-mel via cell

On Apr 20, 2021, at 9:06 AM, Mike <craigslist4md at gmail.com> wrote:

An unfortunate fact is that many companies don't support anything other than sending a token via email, SMS, or sometimes a voice call. I've seen several large banks, insurers, etc. who do this. It's maddening when you sign up for access to something and are restricted to these options.

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 11:49 AM William Herrin <bill at herrin.us<mailto:bill at herrin.us>> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 5:54 AM Mark Tinka <mark at tinka.africa> wrote:
> It's all about convenience, and how much they can get
> done without speaking to human.

Hi Mark,

Convenience is the most important factor in any security scheme. The
user nearly always has a choice, even if the choice is as
rough-grained as "switch to a different company." If your process is
too onerous (the user's notion of onerous) then it simply won't be
used. An effective security scheme is the strongest which can be built
within that boundary.

> If a key fob can be sent to them - preferably for free - that would help.

Hint: carrying around a separate hardware fob for each important
Internet-based service is a non-starter. Users might do it for their
one or two most important services but yours isn't one of them.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
https://bill.herrin.us/